Do you have hair that won’t grow past your shoulders, no matter how much biotin you ingest or treatments you apply? Or perhaps your hair has been excessively coloured, bleached and flat-ironed to the point of major breakage?
To top it off, do you feel completely ambushed by images of women flaunting their luscious locks everywhere you look? You’re not alone! Extensions seem like the natural solution to the feel-good factor we seek, right?
Extensions can give you longer, thicker hair and even provide a quick colour change-up, however are they worth the time, effort and money? Let’s investigate before you book that appointment.
- Extensions can add length and volume, which is perfect for fine, limp or thinning hair.
- Extensions can give you an instant new look. Turn that bob into a mane! If your existing hair is as little as three inches long, you can get extensions, although the extent of your transformation may be limited if your hair is very short. You can also add highlights or colour with shades ranging from mild to wild.
- Extensions can be installed in many ways: braided, glued, woven, or if you only need a temporary boost for a special event, clipped in. In addition, there are some new innovative installation techniques currently emerging in the market.
- Extensions are not painful, so it shouldn’t hurt a bit.
- When installed and maintained correctly, hair extensions do not damage the hair.
- Hair extensions are a high involvement and costly decision. It’s important that you do your research and choose to have your extensions installed by a reputable company you can trust.
- Avoid extensions and pieces that are too heavy for your own hair. If extensions are too heavy, they can damage and break the hair.
- Your hair needs to be long and healthy enough to withstand the pressure of hair extensions. Systems that use glues and adhesives can be troublesome if not installed and maintained correctly.
- Hair extensions take time and effort to maintain. You will need to adhere to good haircare practices including using the right brushes, shampoos and conditioners. Read more here
Questions to ask when doing your research
- What are the extensions made from?
- Are they synthetic or 100%-natural human hair? Human hair is more expensive than synthetic counterparts.
- Is the hair full cuticle and directionally correct? This is very important if you want a tangle free easy to manage experience.
- How will the extensions be applied and removed?
- Can you choose from a variety of weights and densities?
- How often are the maintenance re-lift/re-applications required?
The best hair installation methods
There are many systems of application that can help you achieve that natural look. Strand by strand, piece by piece or wefts can all allow a hair extension professional to manipulate the colour and length, and create the desired look in an accurate way. Light weight systems that use no glue or heat to apply can be advantageous as they are gentle on the natural hair and can help avoid damage.
High quality hair combined with a suitable light weight gentle form of installation is crucial for a trouble free enjoyable wearing experience. Carla Lawson Hair Extensions offers free consultation services to assess the client’s hair and provide advice on the most suitable options.